Never to shirk from a challenge, the Lipstick Bandits are back to tackle "universal color." Beauty bloggers (myself included) throw that word around quite often, but are there really beauty products that truly work across all manners of lips and skin tones? An experiment is born, and we've set out to prove that there is at least one lipstick out there that deserves such a moniker. After vetoing a bunch of colors (Clinique Black Honey was a perennial favorite), the ever-wise Tracy suggested MAC Viva Glam V. We collectively had an "aha!" moment, and now here we are.
As I was editing my pictures I realized I didn't take a swatch photo of Viva Glam V, but for once I'll let it slide because my bandit friends probably have that covered (it's a bad excuse for laziness, but for now I'll take whatever saves me time!).
MAC Viva Glam V is a neutral beige nude shade. It contains quite a bit of shimmer, but you'll have to be a few inches away from the mirror to see it. From a (more human) distance, the shimmer works instead to give dimension to the lips. It features the vanilla scent that accompanies all MAC lipsticks, but the smell fades away within minutes so it doesn't bother me.
Here's what I used for the complete look:
- Skin: Le Métier de Beauté Peau Vierge Shade 2 mixed with Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm, Cle de Peau Concealer in Ochre
- Eyes: Chanel Magic Night on lids, Le Metier de Beaute Rose Champagne in inner corners and under the brow, Guerlain Noir G Mascara
- Cheeks: Burberry Earthy Blush (contour), Burberry Cameo Blush, Guerlain Sun Shimmer Highlighter in 02 Sunny Pink, Bobbi Brown Rose Gold Shimmer Brick
MAC Viva Glam V retails for $14.50 and can be found at MAC counters worldwide and maccosmetics.com. The best thing about the purchasing any iteration of the Viva Glam lipstick is 100 percent of the proceeds go to the MAC Aids Fund. I love it when a brand "goes all out" with donations!
I don't actually know if this lipstick works on everyone, but I'm about to find out (and my intuition tells me it will). Join me in seeing how Viva Glam V works on the rest of my Bandit pals, and let us know if VGV works for you as well!
- Arianne, at Glitter Geek
- Dani, at Call It Beauty.
- Danielle, at Bloomin' Beauty Blog
- Jenny, at My Funny Valentine
- Jessica, at Getting Cheeky
- Larie, at Eye Heart It
- Mariella, at Musing On Beauty
- Monika, at Rocaille Writes
- Paris, at My Women Stuff
- Rae, at theNotice: a beauty blog
- Tracy, at Beauty Reflections